Mining towns and brass bands have always had a close affinity and Kalgoorlie-Boulder is no exception to this, with brass bands dating back as far as the early 1900s. The Goldfields Brass Band has established itself as an integral part of the Goldfields community for many years.
The Goldfields Brass Band began in 1963 when the late Fred Asher formed the Boulder Primary School Brass Band. However, when the young members of the band graduated from Year 7, they could no longer be part of the Primary School Band.
Mayor Gillespie of the Boulder Shire Council asked Mr Fred Asher to take control of the old Boulder Mines Band instruments and music, which were deteriorating in storage. Fred Asher continued to encourage the young musicians and with the old instruments and music formed the Boulder Council Youth Band.
The Boulder Council Youth Band continued for many years as a junior band. Gradually the members of the band grew older and continued to improve in ability. The band then changed its name to the Boulder Council Brass Band to better reflect its community composition.
When the Kalgoorlie and Boulder Councils amalgamated in 1989 to become the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder the band changed its name to its current name, the Goldfields Brass Band. At about this time the band also became incorporated. The band continues to grow and develop and still provides music lessons for young beginner musicians living in the Goldfields.
- State Championships 1999 - Winners, D Grade
- State Championships 2000 - Winners, D Grade
- State Championships 2005 - Winners, D Grade
- Goldfields Volunteer Awards 2008 - Arts, Recreation and Sport - Group
- State Championships 2009 - Winners, D Grade
- State Championships 2010 - Runners-up, D Grade; Runners-up, Open Entertainment Section
- State Championships 2011 - Runners-up, D Grade; Runners-up, Open Entertainment Section
- State Championships 2012 - Runners-up, D Grade
- National Championships 2013 - Winners, D Grade
- National Championships 2014 - Winners, D Grade
- City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Mayoral Award 2015
- National Championships 2016 - Runners-up, C Grade
- State Championships 2018 - Winners, D Grade
Notable past performances
- Opening standard gauge railway - 1968
- Birthday of Indian Pacific
- St Barbara's Festival massed bands event - 2003 (Fred Rooke's Final Concert)
- New Prospector - 2004
- St Barbara's Festival massed bands event - 2004
- Anzac Day marches 2007
- Boulder Town Hall Centenary - Grand Finale Concert - 2008 (ABC report) (YouTube)
- Goldfields Brass Band 50th Anniversary / Festival of Brass - Gala Concert - 2013
- Eastern Goldfields Miners Memorial unveiling - 2014
- Remembrance Day Concert - ANZAC Centenary Year - 2015
- Opened for James Morrison concert - 2019
Major engagements for the band each year include Anzac Day, the Kalgoorlie Race Round, the Kalgoorlie-Boulder Community Fair and the St Barbara's Festival, with monthly play outs at the Boulder Market Days.
- Fred Asher
- Tony Jennings
- Trent Hutchison
- Janet Ross
- Julie Gooch
- Sherril Ball
- Greg Coleman
- Nigel Anderton
- Keith Nicholas
- Graeme Cruickshank